[CS-FSLUG] SUSE again

Jukka Y mail at ylonen.info
Mon Jun 14 01:36:55 CDT 2004

On Monday 14 June 2004 00:35, Nathan Thompson wrote:
> I'm back in SUSE again, this time instead of installing though the "safe
> settings" option I installed it by inserting hdb=nodma into the text area
> after selecting the regular install method.
>
> I find it strange that my CD-Rom drive is the second (slave) device on my
> first IDE cable, when initially booting its seen as hdb but as soon as
> Linux has gotten to the init scripts it seems to have changed to hdc :-/ ,
> either way hdb=nodma usually works in most distributions except in Mandrake
> where it doesn't seem to be needed and in PCLinuxOS which sometimes picks
> up on it but not all the time.
>
> My music no longer seems to skip, everything seems to be running decent
> except for X11 which starts to show strain when extracting a 413 Mb tar.gz
> file.

Great that it (tip from suse-list) worked! If you start tweaking the
installation - I like to hear if you find something interesting ;-). My
tweaking has been mostly trying different programs and choosing the ones that
I like the most (and also the look of programs / desktop environment), but I
try learn also to automate tasks and improve OS-performance.

Blessings,
Jukka