[CS-FSLUG] The Fast-Food Syndrome: The Linux Platform is Getting Fat

Brian Derr bderr at myrealbox.com
Thu Jun 10 08:51:15 CDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 08:32:45AM -0500, Ed Hurst wrote:
> Want pure computing? Run something like DOS, or just get out of the GUI.
> Linux must get fat to be viable in the marketplace. Aficionados will
> complain at the hijacking of their OS by the marketplace of Joes, but
> will at the same time be glad for the money that indirectly blesses the
> things they like.
>
> Maybe I should read that article.... :-)

Hi Ed, how's it going?  Long time no see (or read I suppose).

I have not read the article yet, however, I want to agree with Ed here.
The reason for all the requirements is all the Windows(r) babies we are
piling into the boat.  They want fancy graphical do-which-a-ma-bobbies
and flim-fla-whacka-mojos, not the meat and potatoes.  If you are an
aficionado of the computer world and use it for WORK then you'll use
linux, and it's mile long list of applications, because of the stability
and rock solid performance.  I can get anything done that needs to be
done in an office done on the console (except for graphical editing and
stuff like that).

All these people that are switching over to linux because they are tired
of all the popups and crashes and virii, etc are going to expect to land
in Windows(r)-land when they are done with the installation of Mandrake
or Redhat.  I say, let them have a couple of distributions that are
focused on graphical everything so they can be comfortable in the
Windows(r)-esque OS.  For the rest of us, we'll keep chugging along with
our console window in Slackware, Debian or what have you.  The minimum
requirements for a small, console based distro are phenomenally small.

Do yourself a favor, learn the console and become a PRO at it, then
laugh at all the other people and their goofy GUIs that just slow them
down.

Brian

--
The just man walketh in his integrity:
his children are blessed after him.  -- Proverbs 20:7