[CS-FSLUG] OpenOffice and networked printer

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Thu Jun 10 06:18:11 CDT 2004

At 04:30 AM 6/10/04, Nigel Ridley wrote:

>Libranet 2.8 (Debian based distro) with openoffice 1.1.1 from sid and a
>networked HP Deskjet 640C using cups.
>
>Does anyone know how to set up a networked printer in OpenOffice.org
>1.1.1?
>I did try the 'Printer Administration' tool but it's beyond me.
>I do have the printer recognized and working with OpenOffice on the
>'local' box (the one with the printer attached) but can't get it working
>with OpenOffice on the other machines connected to our small lan (all
>other apps can print to the remote printer).
>
>I did write and ask the folks at OpenOffice.org and their only ray of
>hope to Joe average is that in release 2.0 OpenOffice will work with
>'cups'.
>
>So, any geeks know how to set up networked printers in OpenOffice?

So they broke something in OOo since 1.0.2??  I am running OOo1.0.2 on
Mandrake 9.1 - there are two network printers defined in CUPS.  When a
printer is added to cups its shows up automatically in OOo applications -
no need to use OOo PrintAdmin at all.

All you should need to do is set the printer as "shared" on the pc that has
it connected locally, then find/configure it with CUPS on the other machine.

Frank