[CS-FSLUG] Desktop FreeBSD Part 3: Adding Software

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Mon Jun 7 20:49:27 CDT 2004

FreeBSD is very much a source-based system. The operating assumption
of the architects of FreeBSD is that you will compile most things from
the source code. The system is designed to work that way, and does it
exceptionally well. The famous "Ports Collection" is rather
unique in making a large number of packages available ready to build
and seldom requires anything but a few commands in a terminal window.
Having tried to build specialized applications on several different
versions of Open Source operating systems, I can assure you that
compiling on FreeBSD is about as easy as it gets.

http://www.ofb.biz/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=306
Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |