[CS-FSLUG] In Who's Name?

l4c l4c at thelinuxlink.net
Mon Jun 7 20:14:16 CDT 2004

Timothy R. Butler wrote:
> That's an interesting point, Linc, it never dawned on me that the Greek
> was more like our modern rendering than Y'shua. Hmm... Where does the
> Hebrew term originate, considering that we do not have any Hebrew or
> Aramaic texts of the NT?
>
>     -Tim

Honestly, this is mostly conjuncture but....   Linguistically speaking,
the greek language has certain rules like ending masculine names in an
"s".  I think it was common in the day to carry 2 pronunciations of a
name, much like you might hear different pronunciations of the same name
in different languages today.  For instance in french, Michael is
pronounced Michele and Jesus in English is pronounced 'Hey-soos" in
Spanish.  Thats how you get Jesus out of Yehoshua.  As for where the
term originated, I think Yehoshua means "Yahweh is Salvation", which is
how our savior was referred to contextually in the old testament.

The odd thing is I see a lot of this *proper name of Jesus* kind of
thing but really, there is no definitive reference for this except the
bible and specifically the new testament, which was written in greek and
uses the name "Jesus".  Curious...!

--
-Linc Fessenden