[CS-FSLUG] OpenBSD - apache license

Brian Derr bderr at myrealbox.com
Mon Jun 7 05:56:27 CDT 2004

On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 08:41:55PM -0600, N.Thompson wrote:
> Already done, I have already heard of a small handfull of distributions
> starting to experiment with the FreeDesktop.org X server (wasn't it called
> Xorg or something like that?). Three of those distributions I think are
> Gentoo, Onebase and Slackware.

Slackware isn't just experimenting, they switched.  Slackware-current
changelog tells the details:

   x/:  Switched to X11R6.7.0 from X.Org.  Thanks to those who sent
   comments to x at slackware.com.  Seems the community has spoken, because
   the opinions were more than 4 to 1 in favor of using the X.Org
   release as the default version of X.  I think I've heard just about
   every side to this issue now, and it was only after careful
   consideration and testing that this decision was made.  It's
   primarily (as is usual around here) a technical decision.  Nearly
   everyone else is going with X.Org and it seems to me that sticking
   with XFree86 it spite of this would be asking for compatibility
   trouble (indeed, we saw some issues between X.Org and XFree86 4.4.0
   until a few things in XFree86 were patched).  I also noticed that the
   ATI Radeon binary drivers designed for XFree86 4.3.0 do not work with
   XFree86 4.4.0, but do work with the X.Org release.  Something I'm
   *not* in favor of is dragging around two nearly identical projects,
   so XFree86 4.4.0 has been moved to the /pub/slackware/unsupported/
   directory on the FTP site.

   I'd like to take this moment to thank the XFree86 Project for all the
   truly amazing work they've done all these years, and to wish the
   project the best of luck.  Slackware owes the XFree86 Project a debt
   of gratitude and will always include the XFree86 acknowledgement,
   even if we are no longer shipping XFree86.

I think it is something to see Slackware be one of the first to
officially make a change of this magnitude.

Brian

--
The just man walketh in his integrity:
his children are blessed after him.  -- Proverbs 20:7