[CS-FSLUG] Setting up a Wireless Network

@ndrew andrew at dothedrew.net
Sun Jun 6 19:35:46 CDT 2004

Tim,

Why not get a wireless access point, rather than a router? They're probably
cheaper, and you wouldn't have to worry about the two routers conflicting.
Unless, of course, you're looking for increased functionality in the newer
router...

As far as wireless cards and Linux, I don't have too much to say. I'm only
using 802.llb, and I'm only using it as a bridge, but... I have some Dlink
DWL-900AP+ Access Points that, among other things, can function as wireless
"nodes" - i.e., you can use a cross-over cable to connect them to a regular
NIC, and Linux doesn't know the difference. I've only used that feature a
few times with an old 486 laptop, but it worked exactly as advertised. They
aren't Linksys, but they are external, and can even use other antennae.
However, they're 802.llb, not g, and they're typically more expensive.

--
@ndrew
andrew at dothedrew.net
http://www.dothedrew.net