[CS-FSLUG] A few things to bring up

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Wed Jun 2 00:26:51 CDT 2004

I've had an interesting time playing with two more distributions, the
first was Knoppix and I would have installed it locally were it not for
problems beyond my level of motivation. The next one was Onebase which
like Gentoo installs everything from source and can be set up to use the
best possible optimization for the host platform. Currently I still have
onebase installed however I have run into trouble getting X11 to start,
I am using the FreeDesktop.org X11 server and I cannot find xf86config
for any other such tool except mkxf86config but that is setting the
wrong hsync and vsync values and I have no idea how to set those. I
would edit the config file by hand but I cannot find it so for the time
being I'm stuck.

Onebase is fast, although it took three hours for it to compile a
non-graphical system with only vim as an editor (I had to learn the very
basics of how to open, edit and save files with it, more experience
under my belt I guess), I have been unable to get it to install KDE
because apparently one of the packages is bad although its hard to tell
because the only software mirror (ibiblio) kept cutting out today. The
installation step was very easy, easier then Mandrake as long as you
know how to create a swap and root partition and know how to type "hda2"
and "hda3" or whatever is appropriate for your system. The compiler
settings were easily taken care of, I got a prompt to ask me what
optimizations I wanted to use and I could get a list of the console
based configuration tools by running olm -l.

I also have a question about Linux, if I wanted to block all content
from a certain domain in all browsers, could that be done by editing
/etc/hosts.deny?

Thanks.