[CS-FSLUG] QOTW #5: Coffee and Tea

Eduardo Sanchez lists at sombragris.org
Tue Jun 1 11:00:20 CDT 2004

On Tuesday 01 June 2004 01:51, Timothy R.Butler wrote:
>         Q: Assuming you like at least one of them, which is your
> favorite tea or coffee? What kind?

[snip]

Well, as you might already know, I am a hardcore fan of Yerba Mate
(without the tilde, "yerba maté" is *not* the proper spelling). This is
a Paraguayan herb with a moderate amount of caffeine and a distinctive
taste. For more info you can go here:

http://www.rain-tree.com/yerbamate.htm

I drink it as Tereré. This is an iced drink where you put the yerba mate
in an emptied bull horn (called "the guampa") and you stick inside the
tea a metallic reed with a filtering end (called the "bombilla").

You can see bombillas here:
http://www.ele.ita.br/~ferinsa/images/bombillas.jpg

You then pour iced water (emphasis on "iced") and sip it through the
bombilla. This is really refreshing, and special for that
Louisiana-like climate of my country.

For a photo of someone drinking Tereré, see:
"http://www.tylerbosmeny.com/Paraguay/images/AMIGOS Pals/a036_33.jpg"
(circled in quotes because of the whitespace in the URL).

An interesting aside is that the Tereré is also a social drink. Often
friends would sit around, and pass the "guampa" drinking together while
chatting.

Blessings,

Eduardo
--