[CS-FSLUG] Slackware 10 released

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Sat Jul 3 12:21:45 CDT 2004

>From their site:

Slackware 10.0 is released!

Summer's here, and the time is right for a new release of Slackware (so start
dancin')! As always, thanks to the many dozens of people who contributed
during this development cycle to help make this the best release of Slackware
ever.

Highlights of the 10.0 release include GCC 3.3.4 (with GCC 3.4.0 as an
alternate in /testing), the Linux 2.4.26 kernel (with Linux 2.6.7 as an
alternate choice in /testing), X11R6.7.0 from X.Org, Mozilla 1.7, GNOME
2.6.1, and KDE 3.2.3. Of course, there are many more improvements than can be
listed here (considering that the ChangeLog has grown more than 2000 lines
since the last release).

Read the official announcement here
[http://www.slackware.com/announce/10.0.php].

To order the official release of Slackware (and help support the Slackware
project), visit the Slackware store [http://store.slackware.com].

ISO images are available through BitTorrent here
[http://www.slackware.com/torrents/index.html].

A list of mirrors that are likely to be among the first offering the 10.0
release may be found here
[http://alphageek.dyndns.org/linux/slackware-mirrors.shtml].

Thanks again to the kind folks in #slackware @irc.oftc.net for helping with
the BitTorrents!

I'm considering downloading and trying this Slackware release myself, assuming
the software is new enough. Mandrake 10.0 is nice, probably the first release
I have no major complaints about but if I can figure out slackware then I'd
most likely preffer it. Just in case things don't work out I'll try to keep
as complete a backup of my Mandrake system as I can.

BTW. Where could I got some good Linux literature which could help me get
comfortable with (Slackware) Linux?