[CS-FSLUG] How to run a cron script?

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Fri Dec 31 07:45:21 CST 2004

At 02:54 AM 12/31/04, Jerry VanBrimmer wrote:

>I have this script, called rsync_demo, that I have put in ~/bin. I created
>this script to download updates from a Slackware mirror and put them in
>a folder on my machine. If I run the script manually from a terminal like
>this:
>
>$ /home/jerry/bin/./rsync_demo.sh
>
>it works just fine and does exactly what I want.
>
>Trouble is, I can't get cron to run the script from my crontab.

For myself, the most common cause for this is that path is not the same in
crontab as it is in a terminal session.  Try adding PATH= to the crontab,
or specify full path to commands used inside your script.

Are you sure the problem is that the script does not run in cron, or is the
problem that log file is not changed?  Does 'jerry' has rights to write to
/var/log/messages ?