[CS-FSLUG] I had enough.

Robert W. robertwo at access-4-free.com
Wed Dec 29 19:14:32 CST 2004

On 12/28/2004 09:59:03 PM, Wade A Smith wrote:
> 9.2 use smpppd instead of pppd, so I cant get online.  pppd doesnt
> have the SUID bit set, so I cant use that, and it has NO modem
> commands built in.

You might try wvdial for dialing the modem. SuSE should have an RPM
package. Wvdial starts pppd for you after it connects.

I have a shell script that runs wvdial as root. The script uses sudo,
so a regular user starts the script, and the modem dialing/pppd run
with root permissions. Let me know if you're interested and I'll e-mail
you the script with detailed setup instructions.

--
Robert W.
robertwo at access-4-free.com

Enter through the narrow gate... But small is the gate and narrow the
road that leads to life, and only a few find it. -- Matthew 7:13a,14