[CS-FSLUG] Survey of Women on the List

K Montgomery keltik at nycap.rr.com
Tue Dec 28 23:56:54 CST 2004

Don,

You've composed one of the few posts that have drawn me out.  Well
done. :)
Interestingly, I saw Brenda's post and started thinking about women on
this list and in geekdom overall.

On Dec 28, 2004, at 5:29 PM, Don Parris wrote:

> (1) Firstly, I'm interested to know how many women are on the list,
> and of those how many are actually in the IT field.

My role for the past 9 years has been in IT at a large university.
More below.

> (2) What is your experience in working in this field?

Three years working as a student computer lab tech, and just over 6
years as a full-timer.  (I resigned effective last Thursday so I could
start my own business.)  While I've worn a variety of hats, all of my
work has been related to direct technical support to users.

Interestingly, when I was helpdesk staff, the women in the helpdesk
group greatly outnumbered the men.  There was also a significant number
of women in management.  Then I moved to a position supervising student
helpdesk workers, where my boss (male) and I were the only professional
staff in the group.  Of nearly thirty student employees, only three
were women.  (Talk about culture shock!)  I don't think the number of
female students exceeded four in the two years I did that.

My boss at the student helpdesk was very pro-FOSS, and he let me
implement all sorts of things.  I did MySQL, PHP, web application
development, and more.  As far as specifically Christian FOSS, I don't
have any formal involvement beyond this list.

> (3) How do you feel you are treated by the fellas on this list?

Can't complain.  The (very) occasional mild joke or remark doesn't
cause more than an inward groan.  ;)

> (4) Are there any changes you would like to see in terms of our
> behavior?

I would only remind the guys that some women have "come out" on this
list, and you never know who may be lurking.  The latter part is
important for anyone to keep in mind, male or female.  It's easy to
take for granted that the active list members are the *only* list
members -- which I've done.

> (5) Is there anything else you would like to add?

I am wary of women's groups (LinuxChix or other), because it seems that
wherever (worldly) women band together to the exclusion of men, ungodly
feminism comes out in force.

I'm surprised that in this day and age, many women still can't
reconcile their femininity with their interest in male-dominated
fields.  A "real" woman has learned to coexist interdependently with
men.  Women who haven't learned that, you'll find running to women's
groups.

And I wish some women would stop striving to inject females into
male-dominated occupations for the sake of "equality."  Technical
fields are always going to be mostly male: Deal.  As long as a woman
can find acceptance in a field without compromising her womanhood,
isn't that enough?

- Kathy