[CS-FSLUG] free dns hosting

James W. Thompson, II jwthompson2 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 21:11:22 CST 2004

I highly recommend Everydns.net

They are a completely free primary or secondary DNS provider. I use
them for some of my sites. They are the only completely free DNS
service I am aware of that is user friendly and reliable.

Also check out soa.granitecanyon.com

I find their interface quite clunky though....

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:23:55 -0600, Timothy R. Butler
<tbutler at uninetsolutions.com> wrote:
> > I checked them out along with zoneedit.com. So far those were the only
> > 2
> > places I came anywhere close to trusting.
>
>         I believe the latest Linksys routers can work with either of those to
> automate the process.
>

> >>      A word of warning: keep in mind that you'll need your e-mail to be
> >> hosted on a server with a static IP to e-mail anyone on ServerForest
> >> and many other hosts around the 'net. Many hosts, I believe including
> >> HostingMatters, are now blocking dynamic IP ranges as part of
> >> anti-worm, anti-spam measures. I myself implemented DUL (dynamic user
> >> blocking) as part of my spam blacklisting measures a few weeks ago on
> >> ServerForest.
> >
> > Now thats a drawback. I was hoping to get some experience running my
> > own mail
> > server. I'll keep thinking about this and see which would be the best
> > course
> > of action.
>
>         Yeah, it's rather unfortunate. I did a survey of e-mail coming into
> ServerForest and only found a statistically insignificant margin (far
> less than 0.005%) that was legitimate and coming from a dynamic IP.
> Whereas nearly 50% of the spam hitting the server seems to be coming
> from DUL email "servers." (Most of it is coming from infected "zombie"
> PC's being used by spammers to send out spam.)
>
>         You could always buy e-mail space from a host but have them redirect
> HTTP traffic to your own server...
>
>         -Tim

> Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
> | Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
> |      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
> | GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
> |            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |

James W. Thompson, II (New Orleans, LA)