[CS-FSLUG] Meet "Blam"

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Fri Dec 17 08:17:58 CST 2004

Personal disaster narrowly averted... for a time. :-)

I managed to resurrect an old ProSignia 200 (economy server) with a
P2/233, a whopping 196MB RAM, two massive SCSIs (2 & 4GB), a Matrox
Millenium II PCI (4MB VRAM), and no sound.

I installed FreeBSD 5.3, which evidently is able to work around the
cheap and faulty 16550 COM port controllers. (FreeBSD 4.9 complained
constantly of "silo overflows" which caused lots of dropped packets on
the modem.) It took roughly 8 hours to recompile and optimize core
system files and kernel.

It crawls, the drives are noisy, the case is huge -- but it works, and
will provide minimal service until God sees fit to provide something
better. Meanwhile, He is sooooooo good.

--
Ed Hurst