[CS-FSLUG] FriendlyDistroWar [WAS: ... Distrowatch!]

Aaron Patrick Lehmann lehmanap at cs.purdue.edu
Tue Dec 14 12:47:23 CST 2004

How much downtime is required for a program?  Like for example, if a new
version of KDE comes out, is it possible to arrange things so that people who
are using KDE at the time of update don't notice the changeover?

Aaron Lehmann

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 01:33:14PM -0500, Josiah Ritchie wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 14:43 -0600, Tim Young wrote:
> > The great thing about gentoo is that you get the absolute latest in bugs.  You
> > want the latest buggy version of anything, and you can get it!  Awesome.  Just
> > download the bugs, compile them, and WoW! Eat your hard-drive (or is that "eat
> > your heart out?"  Some expression like that)  Great thing to do to a server.
> >
> > Of course, I use Fedora.  ;)
> >
> >     - Tim Young [adding a few layers of cushions to my firewall for when the
> > fur really begins to fly..]
>
> Gentoo is surprisingly stable if you treat it right (and that isn't
> hard). You only get miserably buggy software if you ask for it. I'm very
> comfortable using it in production and have for longer than I've been a
> part of this list. My problems have been limited to issues with my
> configs or bad hardware. From a server perspective, Gentoo is no less
> stable. As a workstation, I'd say it is less polished and individual
> programs may have their moments, but as a whole is very stable
> especially taking into account the flexibility that is maintained. I can
> say that having run it on stacks of hardware of various quality and
> purpose.
>
> Compilation also isn't an issue once you get used to the concept and out
> of the rpm rut. :-) Realy, updating can all be scheduled during computer
> downtime and once you have one version installed you rarely 'need' the
> latest immediately. This really provides much improvement over the more
> arcane systems when the USE flags are used appropriately.
>
> JSR/

Why do the Democrats complain about Nader losing them Presidential elections?
Republicans don't complain about Libertarians.