[CS-FSLUG] Christian FOSS News/Portal Site

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Mon Dec 13 23:56:22 CST 2004

You could have something like a community blog, it seems most news sites like
OSNews and Slashdot are a good example of what I have in mind. I'd be glad to
contribute when I have the time and if it gets more visitors then my own blog
then it would also be a great place for me to publish my distribution lists
now that uptime is gone.

I most certainly do think there is enough news, since I'm already contributing
to Ark Linux I could always give you some ideas of whats going on there if
you want to mention it. Also Fred seems to know of a lot of news items that
you won't find on the mainstream news and as I recall Groundhog used to write
short reviews of software on his own site. Josiah and a few others in the
list use Gentoo so they would have access to a lot of software before the
rest of us and might be able to write previews of new features in software
that hasn't yet made it into the latest stable distribution releases. If we
still don't have enough news we could always do like what OSNews and Slashdot
do and write a short summary and link to another interesting news article, I
know I'd be more then happy to share my interest in custom computers and case
mods with visitors on the site.

Why not float this idea around the list a while longer and see if others are
enthusiastic as myself, I'd much rather have news sites with good Christian
morals and moderators that share those morals then read my news on sites like
OSNews and Slashdot where the content can get your computer privileges
suspended at school if you accidentally come across an inappropriate post
while the teachers are watching over your shoulders.

On December 13, 2004 08:03 pm, Bradly McConnell wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 20:33:08 -0500, Don Parris <gnumathetes at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > I'm just curious, does anyone think a Christian FOSS news/portal site
> > is needed at this time?  Do you think there is enough "news" to
> > warrant it?  There certainly are enough Christian FOSS projects to
> > consider the idea.  But what about about a slahdot/christdot-styled
> > site?
>
> Fred should concur with this idea, since he is our dedicated news anchor :)

hehe , Fred does post a lot of news to the list but in his defence it can also
be interesting news that the mainstream channels don't cover, I don't have a
problem with his news since he's done a good job of following the list rules
concerning how to handle the subject lines on different content.