[CS-FSLUG] When do you update your distribution?

Ralph De Witt ralphdewitt at charter.net
Mon Dec 13 18:46:10 CST 2004

On Monday 13 December 2004 03:51 pm, Christopher Rose wrote:
> Can any of them install over an existing ext3 partition and preserve the
> /home/tofferer directory? I confessed that I can easily burn my personal
> files to CD, but if I don't have to, that would be neat. ----- Original
> Message -----
> From: "Don Parris" <gnumathetes at gmail.com>
> To: fmiller at lightlink.com, "A Christian virtual Free Software and Linux
> Users Group." <Christiansource at ofb.biz> Subject: Re: [CS-FSLUG] When do you
> update your distribution?
> Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 16:46:08 -0500
>
> > On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 15:19:24 -0500, Fred A. Miller
> >
> > <fmiller at lightlink.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I have to recommend SUSE, if for not other reason (and there are
> > > MANY others),
> > > in that hardware support is better than others.
> > >
> > > Fred
> >
> > I'll play the neutral-minded guy, and suggest that, if not SUSE, then
> > Xandros (with the first-ever VPN wizard, if you need that), and a
> > Windows-ish KDE environment.  It's also easy to install.  After that,
> > it sounds like Mepis, Ubuntu, Knoppix, & Morphix.
> >

> > --
> > DC Parris GNU Evangelist
> > http://matheteuo.org/
> > gnumathetes at gmail.com
> > Free software is like God's love -
> > you can share it with anyone anywhere anytime!

> Linux Counter User: #350477
> http://www.counter.li.org
Christopher:
Both Simply Mepis and Mepis Pro can install and preserve the
current /home/directory structure. How ever that said you will loose any
customizing that the distrobution does to things like kde and your desktop
and you might have problems due to differing versions of apps etc. I beleve
that it would be better save files and reformat all partions and avoid any
headaches etc.
--
	Yours,
	Ralph.