[CS-FSLUG] Successful GNU/Linux Conversion - Jesus is next

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 02:53:56 CST 2004

Well, I just finished helping a co-worker migrate off proprietary
software.  He couldn't get his wlan card working, but apparently
splurged for a bridge, which fixed his problem.  He didn't feed me the
details - just that he can now connect to the Internet under SUSE 9.2.
 His report that he no longer needs Windows could be an indication
that he's either removed it, or is planning to.

According to him, his t.v. tuner card seems to work better under SUSE
9.2 than it did under Windows.  His system rocks.  His infrared
optical mouse/keyboard combo works, where he couldn't figure out how
to do that in Slack or Debian.  He had tried these distros previously,
but came to me after experiencing a Windows problem to borrow my SUSE
9.2 CD's.

He apparently had shut down his PC the day before, when he left for
work.  According to him, there appeared to be no problems at shutdown,
and he had not had any problems during his session.  When he returned
that evening, he rebooted his PC, only to get a blue screen at boot
time.  Even though he's only 19, he's been hacking and teching since
he was @ 11, which is longer than I have been!  He works as a helpdesk
tech at work, so he knows his stuff.

Anyway, he couldn't even recover with the rescue system.  He wound up
doing a re-install without formatting his hard drive to recover his
data.  He then re-re-installed, formatting the drive for a fresh
start.  Obviously, that's not the way to spend your free time if
you're trying to play games and watch t.v. :)  So SUSE 9.2 has
thoroughly converted him to FOSS.

Now the not-so-good news:  He's not a believer, but an agnostic.  He
does ask me questions from time to time, but I won't press him too
hard, myself, knowing his personality.  I'll let him come to me.  I
recently requested input on the dual-head Bible application on his
behalf.  So do pray for Robert.  He helps me with development stuff,
and I help him with FOSS stuff.

I got him going with grep/sed/awk, even though I don't even know how
to use them.  All he really needed was to get hold of them - he
figured out the rest from his programming experience.  Anyway, please
lift him up.  I just thought it would be good to share a Linux
conversion experience.

Peace,
DCP
--