[CS-FSLUG] Binary

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Sun Dec 12 01:29:09 CST 2004

I read in one of my books that Qt keeps data separate by itself when you're
using binary output streams, I was trying to see if this would also happen
with regular C++ binary file streams so I was trying to test it out. I wrote
a program which would write three integers, three strings and then three
characters to a file but when I opened it I get a plain text file.

Can anyone explain why I'm getting what looks like an ordinary plain text
file, are characters and numbers not changed into something else when dealing
with binary file streams?

If anyone was wondering about the results, the standard C++ file streams do
not separate data given to a binary output stream, the output came out as
"123onetwothree123" where the first three numbers were the integers given to
it, the next three words were the strings and the last three numbers were the
characters.