[CS-FSLUG] Kopete won't work with Yahoo

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Fri Dec 10 12:34:13 CST 2004

Alvin Smith wrote:
>>Right now I'm running Kopete 0.8.0 in Mandrake Linux 10.0, I've been trying
>>for weeks to get the thing to connect to the Yahoo network but it just
>>keeps asking me for my password again instantly after each attempt to log
>>in. Is anyone else running the same version of Kopete, are you having the
>>same problem?
>
> This is because Yahoo made a protocol change.

I believe Yahoo claims this keeps the script kiddies at bay. I've seen
some meanness that knocked people off the chat network, so it's
plausible. However, there really is very little of that, and it takes
only 12 hours for them to get back their manipulative power over the
Yahoo servers, so I have my doubts.

I suspect the real reason is plain old meanness toward FOSS users. The
only thing that *really* changes is keeping FOSS users off the chat for
extended periods. It's been at least 3 years since FOSS users could
simply use their Java applet to chat. I am told the last time someone
checked, it offered MS-only features in the applet. Since FOSS chat apps
don't display all those wonderful Yahoo ads, I believe they see us as
service thieves, but know better than to say it in public.

--
Ed Hurst