[CS-FSLUG] When do you update your distribution?

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Thu Dec 9 22:57:22 CST 2004

Robert W. wrote:

> On 12/09/2004 01:39:54 AM, N. Thompson wrote:
>
>> No, I'm sticking with Mandrake and Ark which I have now, I'm just
>> wondering at what point other people decide to upgrade from an older
>> version to a newer version (of the same distribution in my case but
>> this can also apply to people switching from one distribution to
>> another) and why they chose that time to do it, whether its to get
>> the latest version of whatever application, something they do on a
>> regular basis, they may simply upgrade out of curiosity or maybe
>> they  just like to run the latest version.
>

> So far my schedule has been every other year, because of cost. I
> can't  afford $70 for SuSE or Mandrake any more often. And I can't
> stand  waiting any longer to get new versions of applications :)
>
> This is my year for an upgrade. And I'm going to try Debian Sarge.

[snip]

Have you ever heard of http://www.linuxcd.org/ there you can get a 4 CD
set of Mandrake 10.1 at a very good price, they also carry other
Distributions along with an OpenOffice.org CD and if I'm not mistaken
TheOpenCD.

There's also http://www.blcds.com/ and while they only sell 3 of the
Mandrake CD's they also sell an update and contrib CD which can be
useful to have once a distributor such as Mandrake removes all the
updates for an old version of their distribution from their server and
mirrors. Right now these guy's have a special sale on too which you
might find interesting, for every purchase you make before the end of
December they will give you a free order of the same value in February
2005, they also give you a free CD for every 10 you purchase.

--
http://www.geocities.com/ntws01/
http://ntws01.blogspot.com/