[CS-FSLUG] Networking details #2 (slapping myself)

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Wed Dec 8 11:14:20 CST 2004

At 12:04 PM 12/8/04, Josiah Ritchie wrote:

>On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 10:51 -0600, Ed Hurst wrote:
> > Frank Bax wrote:

> > > No offense, but some us might take this for granted...  Do not use
> "uplink"
> > > port on hub/switch.  That port is used for router or another hub/switch.
> >
> > No offense, indeed. However, none of the ports are marked "Uplink". They
> > all are numbered 1-5.
>
>A switch that small may not have one. JSR/

True, but with remote trouble-shooting, it's possible to miss something
that is obvious when you can see the equipment.  Do we have any assurance
that switch and cables actually work?  Do lights on switch and nic come on
& go out when CAT5 cable is connected & disconnected?  Do lights on
switch/nic blink when you issue ping commands?

Frank