[CS-FSLUG] My turn for being clueless

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Wed Dec 8 09:17:02 CST 2004

Josiah Ritchie wrote:
>>Ed, understand that I THINK that switch HAS a firewall in firmware. If so, all
>>you need to do is to plug all 'puters into it, OR, for less than $20, you can
>>get a good multiport HUB. Plug the HUB into the switch, and all boxen into
>>the HUB.........easy. Do, however, make sure you setup the firewall, lame as
>>it is, on any XP box.
>
> what kind of switch are we talking about? It's managed? That changes
> things a bit.

This is an AOpen AOW-650U. I retrieved the user manual and it says
nothing about firewall in the firmware. It's a "dumb" switch that does
nothing but coordinate traffic, as far as I can tell. It only cost about
$20 (US), according to the guy who gave it to me (in trade). If it has
any kind of settings, I am at a loss to find the means.

--
Ed Hurst