[CS-FSLUG] Re: Networking

Stephen J. McCracken smccrack at hcjb.org.ec
Wed Dec 8 08:05:53 CST 2004

N. Thompson wrote:
> I'm a little uneducated as far as networking goes, my understanding of
> it is that two computers need to both be connected to a router or hub
> since connecting them both together directly won't work. Can someone

As Bradly mentioned you can connect two computers together directly with
a "cross-over cable".

> can be used. Also is the 192.168.0.x IP address what you would always
> use for computers in a local domain? I only seen routers use the
> 192.168.x.x range of IP addresses for computers connected to them.

There are three ranges of private IP addresses reserved for local
domains.  They are 10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12, and 192.168.0.0/16.  You
can easily break these up in smaller subnets, as well.  (Microsoft also
has 169.254.0.0/16 for their "Automatic Private IP Addressing").

see:
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1918.html

and for Automatice Private IP addressing:
http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/autoip.htm

sjm