Networking (was: Re: [CS-FSLUG] Networking details #2 (slapping myself))

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Tue Dec 7 23:30:13 CST 2004

Frank Bax wrote:

[snip]

> In order for the two machines to ping each other, you should only need
> to configure each machine with a 192.168.0.x ip address.  That would
> be a good first test.

I'm a little uneducated as far as networking goes, my understanding of
it is that two computers need to both be connected to a router or hub
since connecting them both together directly won't work. Can someone
here with more understanding of networking provide me with more
information on how networking works and what different kinds exist and
can be used. Also is the 192.168.0.x IP address what you would always
use for computers in a local domain? I only seen routers use the
192.168.x.x range of IP addresses for computers connected to them.

--
http://www.geocities.com/ntws01/
http://ntws01.blogspot.com/