[CS-FSLUG] networking details #1

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 7 20:20:03 CST 2004

At 08:22 PM 12/7/04, Ed Hurst wrote:

>I have named my network 'local.bsd' according BSD custom. This prevents
>it resolving on the Internet, and is the standard bogus domain name used
>on FreeBSD dialup machines.
>
>On my wife's machine, I have told her computer she is a member of the
>'workgroup' local.bsd. Is that correct?

Unnecessary.  The "Workgroup" is only used in windows 'peer-to-peer'
file/printing sharing.  Might be useful if you run Samba on FreeBSD someday.

>Here's my /etc/hosts:
>-------------------------------
>
>::1                     localhost thud.local.bsd
>127.0.0.1               localhost thud.local.bsd
>
>#My box internal address
>192.168.1.1             thud.local.bsd thud
>#Wife's box internal address
>192.168.1.2             churchmouse.local.bsd churchmouse
>---------------------------------
>
>Will that work?

Yes, but unnecessary.  For simple routing such as what you are setting up,
these machines will always refer to each other by their ip addresses, not
names.  So entries in hosts files are not required.  If you plan to use
something like PuTTY to access your FreeBSD account from the windows
machines, then a hosts file like your example would be a good thing to have
on both machines.
I always thought the file on windows was: C:\WINDOWS\HOSTS
But I just checked a system with SP2 and its C:\Windows\System32\etc\hosts

Frank