[CS-FSLUG] My turn for being clueless

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Tue Dec 7 16:36:45 CST 2004

 Hurst wrote:

> Tim Young wrote:
> > Woah.  We have two different understandings here.  Most of the guys on this list
> > have been assuming that you were going to route through the Linux box.  The Windows
> > chap you mentioned assumes you are going to have the XP box connected directly to
> > the Internet via DSL or something (PPoE).
>
> Well, I had to compare notes. That was his advice, and if it's wrong
> I'll have to explain to him why. He's trying to learn BSD and Linux, but
> has little time for it.

Ok.  The quick bit of argument for it is that the Linux box handles all the packet
forwarding and the connection to the Internet.  All the windows XP box needs is regular
tcp/ip set up on it.  The Linux box will handle the rest of it.

> > The DHCP server would allow you to add multiple computers simply, but it is not
> > imperative to have.
>
> Good, because it's a whole 'nother animal for me.
>
> > What you need:
> > 1) The unix box connecting to the Internet, dialing, etc.
> > 2) IP address assigned to the unix box.
> > 3) IP address assigned to the XP box.
> > 4) the Unix box set up to "route packets"
> > 5) a masquerading rule so that packets going from the XP box are natted.
> > 6) I am assuming you have some firewalling on the unix box already...
>
> #1 - check
> #2 - Internally or dynamically from the ISP?

    The unix box will have two of them.  The one you currently have via the dial-up which
is dynamic.  The other on the network card which is static (you assign it) On the
webpage: http://www.lugbe.ch/lostfound/contrib/freebsd_router/
this seems to be done with the following line in /etc/rc.conf:
ifconfig_ep1="inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255

> #3 - Internally, I assume?

    That is correct.  The above line from the page I gave you sets you up with an IP
address 192.168.1.1.  Microsoft windows uses 192.168.0.1 instead of 192.168.1.1.  I
actually think that following the directions as given is a good thing.  It is actually
benefitial to not have the same internal IP address as the rest of the world.

Your XP box should have a number that is close to the one on the unix box.  192.168.1.2
woud work fine (or 192.168.0.2 if you go the MS numbering route.)

#4 - I'm studying that right now.
Seems to be done in the same file with:
    # enable IP forwarding
    gateway_enable="YES"
    # enable firewall
    firewall_enable="YES"

> #5 - Very simple on FreeBSD.

Good.

> #6 is quite true, and I'm using native IPFW for it.

Good stuff!  Looks like you should be up before long.

> > (ARRRGGGG!!! I just did a lookup on the Internet to find what you need.  People
> > seem to agree you will need a kernel recompile...  Yuck!)
>
> That's really an insignificant chore on FreeBSD.

It is fairly simple on Linux also, but most find it intimidating.  I guess what is
difficult about it is simply knowing how to do it, and knowing what options to change.
So long as rebuilding the kernel gives you the option to drop back to your old kernel,
just in case, go for it!

Blessings,

    - Tim Young