[CS-FSLUG] My turn for being clueless

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Tue Dec 7 15:04:09 CST 2004

On Tue December 7 2004 2:41 pm, Ed Hurst wrote:
> Frank Bax wrote:
> > I would attempt to install a DHCP server on the FreeBSD system.  Two
> > reasons: 1) The default install on WinXP for network cards is to expect a
> > DHCP server. 2) DHCP server on FreeBSD will not only give the WinXP
> > system an ip address, it should also provide ip addresses for dns servers
> > so WinXP can "seamlessly" access the internet.
>
> For this part, I have the advice from a win-tech who says simply tell XP
> to use PPPoE and tell it the connection is always on.
>
> As for the DNS, I have my box set to obtain the IP dynamically, and it
> updates /etc/resolv.conf every time I connect. Adding a DHCP server to
> my box would be something I don't yet know how to do. My preliminary
> understanding is that my machine would handle this as part of the
> routing process itself under NAT, etc.

Ed, understand that I THINK that switch HAS a firewall in firmware. If so, all
you need to do is to plug all 'puters into it, OR, for less than $20, you can
get a good multiport HUB. Plug the HUB into the switch, and all boxen into
the HUB.........easy. Do, however, make sure you setup the firewall, lame as
it is, on any XP box.

Fred

--
"As Internet technology itself vaults into new areas, so too does the
Microsoft monopoly and its tried-and-true bag of tricks."