[CS-FSLUG] My turn for being clueless

Josiah Ritchie jritchie at bible.edu
Tue Dec 7 12:48:18 CST 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 12:27 -0600, Ed Hurst wrote:
> I mentioned this a few months ago, then put it on the back burner to
> solve more pressing needs. Now the issue is before me again. Let's
> assume I know zero, because it close to that.
>
> I run FreeBSD 5.3 and connect via dialup. Most of you won't be able to
> help with peculiarities of FreeBSD, but I still need a general framework
> of "what must happen" for this to work.
>
> I have been given a 5-port switch from AOpen (AOW-605U). My box has a
> working ethernet card, so those two are now connected, but nothing
> configured because I can't answer all the config questions just yet. I'm
> waiting info on FreeBSD config data for configuring the NIC. I have no
> idea if the switch needs configuring.
>
> I am connecting my wife's (shudder) XP box to the switch, so that I can
> serve PPP to her. Then I can remove the internal modem which is causing
> crashes and other problems. Her ethernet connection is built on the
> board. The idea is that no outside machine has any hope of passing
> anythying to her that doesn't pass my IP filter. For now, I'm assuming
> my firewall will allow in only those things her machine has asked for
> specifically: webpages, e-mail, FTP, etc. I see no need to worry about
> caching, DNS, etc. I may try to fetch her mail. So I guess for her it's
> PPPoE. To keep it simple for now, she will only be able to connect after
> my machine has dialed up by explicit command. No auto-dial on demand for
> her.
>
> Aside from the idea that I need to assign internal addresses somthing
> like 192.168.0.1 for mine and 192.168.0.2 for hers, I can't guess much
> about the very basic networking concepts many of you take for granted.
> I've never done anything with networking beyond getting myself connected
> via dialup.
>
> What can you tell me, brothers and sisters?

Key is knowing your routing table. If you post them (route 4 Linux and
route print 4 win) we can talk about them.

Before that, use TCP/IP on the NIC. You don't have to think about that
in Linux, but in Windows you do. (Rt-clk "Ntwk Neigh, Clk proerties and
there is where you config the NIC.) I'll assume you can find info on it
from there w/ Google.

As soon as both NICs are setup w/ IP addresses and both are plugged into
the switch you can ping between each other (ping ip.ad.dre.ss). The BSD
box should hit the web and the Win won't.

In Win enter the route
route add 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1
This tells the computer that all traffic not spocified elsewhere in the
table should go to the BSD box.

Turn on IP traffic routing. Don't know how to do this in BSD. Also
configure BSD to NAT (Network Address Translation) the 192.168.0.0
traffic so that it has a public IP address. 192.168.x.x is not routed on
the internet because it is a private address so you have to translate it
to your public address.

If you were using Linux I could help more. That's a start on the
concept.

JSR/