[CS-FSLUG] GNU believers

Nigel Ridley nigel at i-amfaithweb.net
Tue Aug 31 22:09:04 CDT 2004

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:46:14 -0500
Ed Hurst <softedges at tconline.net> wrote:

> Josiah Ritchie wrote:
> >>Aaron -- if you so dislike the GPL and I assume you are a man of
> >>principles, why do you use GPL'd software? You would appear to be
> >>somewhat of a hypocrite -- no?
> >
> > I wouldn't say that. It's a difference between accepting someone
> > else's code to function and using someone else's code to make more
> > code.
> >
> > I still use Microsoft's software. I don't like their terms, but I
> > agreed and will follow them. I don't like some government rules or
> > lack thereof, but I'm not going to "go vigilante" on you.
> >
> > Basically, what he does with his own code versus using someone
> > else's code are really different arguments.
>
> Well put. Absolutism is for machinery; we are humans and capable of
> living with tensions. If the only thing available for the job is GPL
> or commercial, then it is my duty in Christian service to accept the
> license or do without. I am in no position to dictate my preferences
> on another, even if I earnestly believe my BSD preference more closely
> fits Christian principles. I must accept the brother of different
> convictions for the gift of God he is.
>
> --
> Ed Hurst
> -----------
> A Bible Site -- http://webs.tconline.net/softedges/
> Linux & Unix Help -- http://ed.asisaid.com/
> Blog -- http://ed.asisaid.com/blog/
> ---

I agree with you Ed. I was just surprised by Aaron's real dislike of the
GPL and figured that if he thinks that it is viral then why use
something that your principles think is wrong.

Blessings,

Nigel

--
It's not a problem -- it's a learning opportunity.
--

I AM Bible Studies and Resources
http://www.i-amfaithweb.net

Messianic E-Cards.com