[CS-FSLUG] TD: CS-BibleStudy: Hosea 2

Ed Hurst softedges at tconline.net
Mon Aug 23 07:34:24 CDT 2004

On Sunday 22 August 2004 22:37, Timothy R. Butler wrote:

> Ice Breaker Question: God seems to tell the people of Israel of a
> time of reconciliation after punishment. Growing up, did your parents
> talk about a time of forgiveness after your punishment? Would that
> have made you feel better than just receiving punishment, or would it
> have simply made things worse realizing what will be but only after
> you receive punishment?

You can't make a parable walk on all fours. That is, extracting every
last ounce of possible meaning from a parable does violence to the art
of parable. In parenting, one may hold out hope for reconciliation, but
that is not always the best thing to do.

> 1.) Why do you think God removed Israel from the land it lived in?
> While a time of reconciliation is referred to, we know that this has
> not occurred yet, at least. Do you think this is unfair in light of
> the fact that Judah was able to remain an identifiable unit that
> returned after a period of exile?

Israel was culturally separate from the beginning. Shortly after the
Conquest, those differences became rather obvious. All the way through
from that time, we see the northern tribes on the wrong side of most
things. They were the last to accept David's rule, and the quick to
reject his grandson. Their brand of Judaism was so hideously corrupt,
even to the point of cutting out whole sections of the Pentateuch, it's
a wonder God didn't act sooner to shut them down.

Judah remaind more or less faithful to the Davidic Dynasty, which
appears to be just enough to keep their identity as a nation. Very
early, the Lord began referring to Israel and Judah as sisters, both of
whom were ostensibly married to Him. Israel left Him for good, and
could not be reconciled. Judah remained within reach.

Consider that Judah most certainly did learn to quit chasing idols, and
from the Restoration on, had no further trouble with idolatry. This was
not the final restoration promised in Christ, so it's easy to see why
the historical period between 586 BC and Christ's Birth didn't see much
change in the relative status of Israel and Judah in terms of the
Covenant. The Restoration as historical event was but a dim shadow of
the real thing. In fact, most of Judah stayed in Babylon.

> 2.) Chapter 2 repeats many of the themes of chapter 1. What do you
> infer by those themes that are repeated?

Aside from Nigel's answer, there is also the prophetic literaray art
form here. Keeping the context alive as one fills out the image further
makes the message all the more clear. The repetition indicates the
foundation for the rest of the message.

> 3.) Why do you think the theme of Hosea's wife and children is
> dropped in favor of a direct reference to Israel and God in a
> marriage relationship?

Hosea's life was a parable; so was the "marriage" with the Children of
Israel. It's the closest earthly approximation to the spiritual
reality. Hosea's situation was not forgotten, but was the real-life
introduction to the spiritual situation. Hosea's troubles are not
forgotten, but are merely the focal point for a wider problem.

--
Ed Hurst