[CS-FSLUG] help opening graphics files

Jukka Y mail at ylonen.info
Fri Aug 20 03:46:53 CDT 2004

On Thursday 19 August 2004 16:16, R. Thompson wrote:
> 	I'm trying to open a graphics file of a wiring diagram sent to me by a
> mission.  They've sent it to me in following file formats, which I have
> not been able to open.
>
> .dsf
> .dxf (which I should be able to open in QCAD, but it didn't work)
> .ds4
> .mgx
>
> Does anyone know of a Linux program to open and manipulate these file
> types.  I'm using Mandrake 9.1.
>
> Thanks!
>
> 		Ron T.

Hi Ron!

What version of QCad are you using? I think latest (non-free) versions of QCad
supports dxf-fileformat up to AutoCAD 2004.

An alternative (which I took) is to download a program called
"lx-viewer" (http://lx-viewer.sourceforge.net/ )
and use it with "OpenDGW libraries" (http://www.opendesign.com).
Both viewer and libraries are free, but downside is that you have to join
OpenDesign Alliance ("Associate Membership" is free) and it causes a lot of
work (printing, signing and sending back a fax containing several pages -
after it you are given a permission to download the necessary libraries).

There may be another viewers, but I think OpenDesign Alliance is most
up-to-date with dxf-fileformat (parts of coming AutoCad 2005 is already
supported).

Blessings,
Jukka