[CS-FSLUG] TD: CS-BibleStudy: Hosea Chapter 1

Ed Hurst softedges at tconline.net
Wed Aug 18 09:25:30 CDT 2004

Josiah Ritchie wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 20:13, Ed Hurst wrote:
>
>>>2.) God says the people aren't His people but then, in verse 10
>>>indicates that will change and the people will become known as "Sons of
>>>the living God." What do you think this return to a relationship to God
>>>will be?
>>
>>[flame suit on] God declares that the covenant relationship is stretched
>>to the breaking point. Very soon, He will disown His people, then
>>reconsitute His people on a wholly different basis, with a New Covenant.
>>Rather than mere Servants of God, they would be true Children of God by
>>the blood of Jesus. The meaning behind the term "God's People" would
>>change completely -- no longer a race or nation of people, but a whole
>>new kind of humanity. "Jew" will cease to have any meaning in that context.
>

> Ed, are you implying here that God broke the covenant in order to create
> a new one later or do you mean to say it morphs into another shape more
> encompassing in nature and grace?

No, the Jews broke the Covenant. Repeatedly. After awhile, the Lord has
enough of it and gives them their choice. However, the Covenant of
Moses, in my view, was never inteneded as permanent. It was offered to a
specific people, in a specific place, at a specific time in history.
They left it. It was at the same time a way-station with the ulitimate
goal being the New Covenant. Moses was the soil in which the seed of
finality was planted. Whether it "morphs" or "displaces" is not a
distinction I see clearly made in Scripture. There's something of both,
and yet neither. What is clearly stated is that the only way to relate
to God now is through His Son.

--
Ed Hurst