[OFB Cafe] SSDs

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Mon Nov 28 01:54:49 CST 2011

Hi, Fred,

> If might be worth moving all data off of the drive and onto an external drive, clean up the drive, then move it all back just to see if you get the speed back.

	I've actually tried that a couple of times to no avail. Apple support was mystified about how the drive gets a clean bill of health but acts like a drive getting ready to go out. (A year and some change later, it is still kicking, but still acts the same way.)

	Any thoughts on what the proper sustained transfer rate of a laptop hdd should be these days? I've tried testing it via large file copies from the previously mentioned FW800 drive.

	I think I'm sold on an SSD, but Fred, if you were going to recommend a 2.5" drive, what do you like right now? Anything better than the Momentus XT?

	Thanks,
		Tim