[OFB Cafe] SSDs

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Mon Nov 28 01:54:06 CST 2011

Hi, Jens,

> I have a 256G SSD in my Macbook Pro and Lion installed on it in 8 minutes, it boots in 8 seconds (to the desktop) and I have yet to find an application that appears more than one second after clicking on its icon. With the SSD, the FileVault encryption bottleneck is actually the CPU, not the disk any more.

	The 256GB seems like it is at the ideal price point. I may go that route. I feel like $700 for a drive is a bit over the top -- but 256GB still feels cramped.  The performance you describe sounds great.

> That said, I also have a Time Machine setup running regularly. I’m not 100% sure how far I would want to trust SSDs not to fail suddenly and completely. With HDDs, you usually get some advance warning (SMART).

	Yes, I'd still definitely want to back up. And, if I get anything under 1tb, my photos won't fit on the drive anyway...

	Tim