[OFB Cafe] Ping... Ping...

Donald Spoon drspoon at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 27 22:17:51 CST 2011

Our brand-new Jenn-Air Oven (1year + 1 Month) managed to shatter some
glass in the oven door about a week before Thanksgiving... PANIC!!  The
tech had to order the new glass from the Factory.  Fortunately the kids
living locally pitched in a helped out with pies, stuffing, etc.  I
volunteered to "Deep Fry" a 13 pound turkey... and all worked out
Great.  We had a GREAT Thanksgiving!!

I made a Cajun dry rub for the turkey, and rigged up a trapeze apparatus
on a step ladder that allowed me to lower the bird into the hot oil from
a "safe" distance.   I must say the turkey was OUTSTANDING, and all
present agreed!  I highly recommend this method if you haven't tried it
before... but RTFM first!  There is a LOT that can go wrong and hurt you
if you don't follow the directions...  About 1 hour of "prep" time for
the rub and application, and 45 minutes of cooking time in the Peanut
Oil at 350 Degrees F.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-