[OFB Cafe] My Droid Preview

saki tjmc at torhouse.eclipse.co.uk
Mon Nov 2 03:28:53 CST 2009

Jens Benecke wrote:

> You�re right about the apps. There is some utility in having a phone
> that can do more than actually phone people. Even more so, since I don�t
> really use the phone that often. :-) Since moving to Mac OS and using
> Mac-centric applications more and more (I am now using iWork 09 more
> often than OpenOffice, for example), most small tools I have begun to
> like have *some* iPhone counterpart which makes life a little easier or
> is simple fun to use.
>
> OTOH, the two people I know who have WM-based phones don�t use any extra
> software because �most of them are useless toys anyway� (quote).

I recently opted for the Nokia E71. It has the important things for me:
a very usable QWERTY keypad for fast and usually accurate input, good
sound quality, and a usable camera for the odd occasions I need it (when
a truck backed into me, for example!).

I had ordered the HTC Hero, which was very impressive, but the vendor's
coverage in my village was virtually non-existent, so I had to return it.

(As an aside, when I rang (on my previous supplier's 'phone) to
complain, I went through the normal helldesk rigmarole until the
operator said "Ah but you're trying to use it inside your house"! I
pointed out that I was unlikely to stay in the garden twenty-four hours
a day just on the off chance that someone was trying to contact me, and
terminated the contract.)

I am sure, though, that my next 'phone will be Android based.

Terence