[OFB Cafe] OT: Conficker and Virus Scanners

Jens Benecke jens at spamfreemail.de
Tue May 26 00:18:31 CDT 2009

Am 26.05.2009 um 04:12 schrieb Timothy Butler:

> Hi everyone,
> 	Has anyone on here dealt with Conficker cleaning? Someone decided
> to remove the anti-virus on a computer at church, and it appears to
> be a mess with that delightful little virus.
>
> 	So, the first question I have is, if you've dealt with Conficker,
> did you have any success cleaning a system without reformatting?
> I've read mixed reports.
>
> 	Second, I'm not terribly thrilled with most AV software I've worked
> with in recent years. Anyone have one you really like not only for
> accuracy but also being a non-resource hog?

Hi Tim,

I only use ClamXav occasionally, but I do use ClamAV on the
Spamfreemail server and it's had quite a good record of finding mail
viruses. I don't know about its Windows performance.
If you don't want a resource hog, don't even look at Symantec. When I
had my uni notebook Symantec's insistence on scanning every file you
touch, and doing "quick system scans" exactly when you don't need
them, ate about 20% of the notebook's battery time.
My fiance is quite satisfied with "Avira Antivir". It's free for
personal use (it's a time limited license but they keep renewing it)
and it has saved her computer already a few times e.g. once when we
had visitors who brought infected USB sticks.

I haven't dealt with Conficker yet, though.

Regards

--
Jens Benecke - jens at spamfreemail.de - www.jensbenecke.de
Keine Lust auf Müll in ihrem Postfach? www.spamfreemail.de