[OFB Cafe] OT: Conficker and Virus Scanners

saki tjmc at torhouse.eclipse.co.uk
Tue May 26 01:12:33 CDT 2009

Timothy Butler wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>     Has anyone on here dealt with Conficker cleaning? Someone decided to
> remove the anti-virus on a computer at church, and it appears to be a
> mess with that delightful little virus.
>
>     So, the first question I have is, if you've dealt with Conficker,
> did you have any success cleaning a system without reformatting? I've
> read mixed reports.
>
>     Second, I'm not terribly thrilled with most AV software I've worked
> with in recent years. Anyone have one you really like not only for
> accuracy but also being a non-resource hog?

Tim,

I can't help with removal (being a Debian net here!), but from the
little I know it may be best to copy what data you can retrieve and
reformat and re-install.

Personally, I would put another copy of your data onto a Linux (or OSX
box- I know you like Apples!), and try and find open source software
that can be used instead.

That way, if successful- and you should be alright- your Church would
not be open to MS problems in future.

Otherwise, start looking for a way of preventing access to the critical
parts of your Church's system......

Terence