[OFB Cafe] Kiosk Web Filtering/Restrictions

Jens Benecke jens at spamfreemail.de
Wed Jul 8 14:41:55 CDT 2009

Am 08.07.2009 um 08:38 schrieb Timothy Butler:

> Hi everyone,
> 	Can anyone recommend a really, really simple way to restrict web
> access in a Ubuntu/GNOME/Firefox kiosk so that it can only be used
> to access authorized sites? The system is meant to be a library
> catalog lookup computer and so I only want it to be able to access
> the site which hosts the catalog.
> 	I tried using the willowng module in Ubuntu, but it fails on
> attempting to import "dl" on line 23 every time I try to start it.

Hi Tim,

The only reliable and safe way is to restrict access on the gateway
which connects the machines to the outside world by blocking
everything, and explicitly only allowing access to hosts you specify
(as in: your local DNS server (which should not resolve outside
names), the library server, and perhaps a backup server).

How does your network topology look like?

--
Jens Benecke - jens at spamfreemail.de - www.jensbenecke.de
Keine Lust auf Müll in ihrem Postfach? www.spamfreemail.de