[OFB Cafe] Vista Woes

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Fri Jul 3 14:59:46 CDT 2009

Hi everyone,
	I really should make a policy of refusing to touch Vista PCs. They
usually seem to get worse after working on them. So the case is now. I
have a client who has a Vista PC which will no longer autoplay Windows
Image Gallery on insertion of a compact flash card (though the card
reads just fine in the computer -- it just refuses to do the normal
autoplay, despite all of the autoplay settings being fine and it
autoplaying fine if it launches Windows Explorer instead)...

	Even worse, the Brother HL-1440 printer they have no longer works.
Every time I reinstall the printer it refuses to print a test page
(without any on screen errors). When I go to view printer properties
afterwards, Windows always reports that the printer's drivers are not
installed and prompts to install them. Doing so only satisfies it
until the next time I try to do anything with the printer. It never
does print.

	The printer works fine on another, Windows ME computer (gasp, I know)
and it works fine on the problem computer when using an Ubuntu Live CD.

	Any ideas?

	Thanks,
		Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Turning and turning in the widening gyre
tbutler at ofb.biz   |  The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
timothybutler.us  |  Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
uninet.info       |  Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world..."
                                                 -- W. B. Yeats