[OFB Cafe] Determining Which Machine is Serving Something

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Tue Sep 16 15:10:36 CDT 2008

Hi everyone,
	I've been brought on as a consultant to help a smallish college's not-
tech oriented web designer with some issues. The problem is the old,
technically oriented web designer left without leaving anyone with
much information about how things are configured.

	I'm trying to figure out which server is hosting webmail.mobap.edu:
2048 . I have access to mobap.edu and webmail.mobap.edu, and cannot
find the EZproxy program that runs on port 2048 on either of them --
yet the program is there. I've observed that the latter address has an
NAT'ed IP address from the inside, so my best guess is that port 2048
is redirected to a different machine than webmail,mobap.edu itself.
Any suggestions on how in the world I might isolate where that machine
is without obtaining access to the router that is doing the NAT port
redirection?

	Thanks,
		Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "The theologian who labors without joy is not a
Editor, OfB.biz   | theologian at all. Sulky faces, morose thoughts
tbutler at ofb.biz   | and boring ways of  speaking are intolerable in
timothybutler.us  | this field."
                                                       -- Karl Barth