[OFB Cafe] Pulled Another Boner

Chris Olson chris.olson at live.com
Fri Sep 5 19:33:51 CDT 2008

I pulled my Freightliner in the shop this morning, deciding it was time to repaint the frame.  I got some flat black polyurethane enamel frame paint from Freightliner - the same stuff they paint the frame with at the factory.  So I pulled the wheels off the drivers and spent several hours cleaning, descaling, chipping rusted areas, wire brushing and prepping the frame to be repainted.

Then I got this wild idea - went to Carquest and got some hardener for the paint, which I figured would make it more durable (polyurethane enamels, like DuPontT Imron®, are almost as tough as steel and extremely resistant to chipping when you use a hardener in the paint).

I was pretty impressed with myself for thinking of this.

Check out the paint job in the photo below.  Holy Crap!  I can't get within 50 feet of the truck without wearing shades anymore.  The damn hardener made the flat black paint super-glossy.  So much for the truck looking "factory"...........

So then, since I screwed that up I figured I'd make it worse.  So I went to Meyer Trucks and bought me a brand new set of chromium plated, fully illuminated, genuine ax-sessory stainless steel mudflap brackets.  Them suckers cost $385 APIECE but they gave me a brand new set of mudflaps for free!  Check 'em out:

After I get all my parts bolted back on the truck I'm going to Noble Tire and buy me a brand new set of chrome Budds for 'er.  Priced 'em out today - normally new chrome rims are $1,366 each but they'll sell me a full set of 8 Alcoa chromed aluminum Budds for the drivers for $10 Grand.

My wife is going to shit a brick when she finds out I bought chrome wheels for the truck........
--
Chris