[OFB Cafe] Who's Still on Here?

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sat May 31 21:37:21 CDT 2008

If you're on the list, why not post a bit about yourself, how you
ended up on here, etc. I see we have 28 members, many of which look
like familiar faces, but I'm not sure how many of those addresses are
still functional and not just ones that haven't upset Mailman's
bounce detector yet. Here, I'll start.

Hi, I'm Tim. "Hello, Tim."

Setting that point aside, the next obvious question is: how long have
you been talking to yourself? "Many years."

Oookay.

I'm Tim Butler, one of the co-administrators on both of the lists
that formed Cafe (OFB-Talk and FOSS-Cafe, nee, KDE-Cafe).  I'm editor
of Open for Business (which is that OFB.biz thing you see on the end
of the address). OFB was born in 2001 out of a discussion in OFB-
Talk's predecessor list, LX-Talk. I ended up on KDE-Cafe because I
was at the time an active KDE user and involved in a few
insignificant ways in KDE advocacy, at the old KDE League and
elsewhere. That was all before I became a turn coat, started using
GNOME, switched off of Linux desktops and became a Mac guy in May
2004. I still admin Linux servers and tinker with Linux desktop
stuff. I also still write at Open for Business, but OFB is now a much
broader publication, covering nearly as many topics as Cafe.

Offline, I'm slowly recovering from working in tech. I started my web
design business a decade ago and picked up computer repair about the
same time. I still do IT consulting, but hope to kick most of that
habit in about two years, save for odds and ends such as my web
hosting business. I'm working on an M.Div (Master of Divinity) at the
moment with the aim of teaching at a university. My tentative
research focus is on the interactions of theology and literature
(neatly bringing together my undergrad majors, so it seems). I also
fancy myself a poet, though not a very good one, and am rarely
without a camera or two or three to keep my shutter finger happy. I'm
a recent convert to Canon's EOS system.

Well, enough useless (and utterly useless) trivia about me. :-)

Timothy R. Butler | "The yellow fog that rubs its back upon the
window-panes,
Editor, OfB.biz   | The yellow smoke that rubs its muzzle on the
window-panes
tbutler at ofb.biz   | Licked  its  tongue  into the  corners  of  the
evening,
timothybutler.us  | Lingered upon the pools that stand in drains."
                                                                 --
T.S. Eliot