[OFB Cafe] Archives

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sat May 31 21:15:47 CDT 2008

Hi Dan,

> To be quite honest, I posted some things on that list that I'd be
> quite happy to have disappear from public memory forever :P.
>
> Nonetheless, it'd be a shame to lose it.

	I had the same paradoxical thoughts run through my mind. Actually,
though, I'll live. I think I'm more regretful of a few flamewars I
was in over on one of the Debian lists years ago.

	It makes me wonder, in another ten years or so, when most of the
young politicos running will be ones that have spent years writing on
electronic lists and such long before they had political aspirations,
how will anybody win? In twenty years when they grew up with things
like Facebook being a given, I really wonder. Many of us are pioneers
who have been on mailing lists for a seeming age (I look back rather
fondly of joining my first KDE list in 1998, I'm sure some of those
left here were actually on one even earlier than that), but long term
archived forums, e-mails and the like are probably a lot more a part
of the norm for the rest of folks now...

	Should be interesting, eh?

Timothy R. Butler | "Into this Universe, and why not knowing,
Editor, OFB.biz   | Nor whence, like Water willy-nilly flowing:
tbutler at ofb.biz   | And out of it, as Wind along the Waste,
timothybutler.us  | I know not whither, willy-nilly blowing."
                                            -- Edward FitzGerald