[OFB Cafe] Distinctive Ring Fun

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Fri Jun 27 15:50:16 CDT 2008

Hi everyone,
	I'm looking to do some fun tricks with a distinctive ring (e.g. it's
another number that rings my main phone line, but with a weird
sounding tone so that it can be distinguished from the primary phone
line. I've read about switches that automatically route calls to
different ports based on this. Does anyone have experience with these
devices? Basically, what I want to do is this: if the call comes in
with the normal ring, leave it be; if the call comes in with the
distinctive ring, route it to a port where I can have an answering
machine intercept it.

	On top of that, if possible, I'd like to have the device detect if
there is a fax tone when the answering machine picks up, and if so,
switch it to a third port, which has a fax machine attached to it.

	Potentially, in the future (or maybe now) I wouldn't mind doing all
this with something like Asterisk, if that is possible (please let me
know your thoughts on that), but primarily, I'd like to just use a
little switch box of some sort.

	I think all of this is possible. Suggestions on how to do so?

	Thanks,
		Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "He that has and a little tiny wit—
Editor, OFB.biz   | With hey, ho, the wind and the rain,—
tbutler at ofb.biz   | Must make content with his fortunes fit,
timothybutler.us  | For the rain it raineth every day."
                                   -- Feste the Fool (Shakespeare)