[OFB Cafe] Who's Still on Here?

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Thu Jun 26 16:41:09 CDT 2008

> Very well done- I normally have to explain! Actually, the verse (not
> in
> all versions, as in your quote) from which I took it is:-
>
> "And when like her, oh, Saki, you shall pass
> Among the Guests Star-scatter'd on the Grass,
> And in your joyous errand reach the spot
> Where I made One--turn down an empty Glass!"

	Ah, yes, one of my favorite verses from the work. It is a perfect
crescendo for the work. There are such excellent lines in the
Rubaiyyat; the one that is typically my favorite is in my signature at
times.

> And, I have to confess, also in honour of another excellent writer,
> Hector Hugh Munro, who chose it as his pen-name. Sadly he was of that
> generation that disappeared into the abyss of the Western Front in the
> Great War.

	I actually was not familiar with him. Thank you.

> "She was a good cook as good cooks go, and, as cooks go, she went."
>
> And "Madame was not best pleased at being contradicted on a
> professional
> matter, and when Madame lost her temper you usually found it
> afterwards
> in the bill."

	Sounds worth checking out.

	Thanks,
		Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Into this Universe, and why not knowing,
Editor, OFB.biz   | Nor whence, like Water willy-nilly flowing:
tbutler at ofb.biz   | And out of it, as Wind along the Waste,
timothybutler.us  | I know not whither, willy-nilly blowing."
                                            -- Edward FitzGerald