[OFB Cafe] Never had this happen before!

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Tue Jul 29 10:33:24 CDT 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> On July 28, 2008 03:33:06 Chris wrote:
>
>> In Canada northern pike are considered "rough fish", but you're right that
>> they don't get enough respect as game fish.  Earlier this summer Cheryl and
>> I went fishing on the Lake of the Woods - we pulled our boat behind our 5th
>> wheel RV and stayed at Rainy River, Ontario for the entire week.
>
> My sister lived for many years in Fort Frances, and my niece is still there.
>
>> When you catch a northern that big you NEVER get it in the boat - just hook
>> a big leader on and tow it alongside.  We didn't do that, and it proceeded
>> to wreck our boat.
>
> LOL!
>
>> They're the largest fresh water fish on earth,
>
> I don't think so, there are catfish and sturgeon bigger (and shark, I think -
> there's a freshwater shark in Lake Nicaragua), though arguably they're
> landlocked varieties of species that typically spend parts of their lives in
> marine environments.

Muskies live in the SAME water in Canadian and US lakes that are MUCH
larger than a big northern. We have a fair amount of northerns here in
our Cayuga Lake and are my FAVORITE fish to catch..........and eat. ;)

Fred

--
Linux is an old Latin word meaning, "I don't have
to support your Windows anymore."