[OFB Cafe] Climatology vs. Climatism

Derek Broughton auspex at pointerstop.ca
Sat Jul 26 19:39:21 CDT 2008

On July 26, 2008 20:46:55 Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * Derek Broughton <auspex at pointerstop.ca> [07-26-08 19:41]:
> > On July 26, 2008 20:25:12 Fred A. Miller wrote:
> > > Yes.....Rick's are the ONLY ones that are "blank."
> >
> > Not to me - which I suspect is something to do with the fact that I
> > explicitly instruct my mail program to show _only_ text/plain parts, and
> > his are multipart.
>
> Mutt has an option to reset the content-type.  If I change it to
> text/plain, I can view his posts.  Also removing the content-type
> header will allow viewing.

Ah, now this is interesting.  This particular message (the last one from Rick
in this branch of this thread), has first a "multipart/mixed" content type.
That says a capable program should display _all_ the parts.  But the first
part is, itself, multipart/alternative - so a program should choose _one_.
The first of those parts is a message, but the second (which I've included in
full) is empty (a blank line following Content-Type ends the header, then
there's one blank line of message).  Finally, the second part of the
multipart/mixed is presumably added by Mailman, as it's a list .sig.

In a multipart/alternative, I believe each program is free to choose which it
displays, and the only difference in the headers seems to be that one says
it's 7-bit and the other specifies Mime-version.  I suspect if I tweaked my
settings slightly, KMail would choose the other part, and I'd stop seeing
Rick's messages, too.

From rwbowers at gmail.com Sat Jul 26 09:11:09 2008
... [none of these headers matter ]

------=_Part_3496_12286536.1217074270031

OfB Cafe - Cafe at ofb.biz
Brought to you by your friends at Open for Business.

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this mailinglist are the personal
opinions of the author and do not represent those of Open for Business.

--
derek